In this article, we will learn about how to drag files on Windows operating system. Once you have your file open in an app like Microsoft Word or Microsoft Excel, you can easily drag and drop a new file into the program. Among the many new features introduced in Windows 11.
One particular feature that seems to be missing, however, is the Drag and Drop function. This function would allow for quick and easy file transfer between folders as well as provide an overall more streamlined experience.
However, there is some good news: third-party developers have managed to replicate Windows 10’s drag and drop functionality on Windows 11.
In this article, we’ll show you how to enable drag and drop files support on Windows 11 so you can get your workflow back to normal.
3 Way To Enable Drag and Drop Features on Windows 11 Taskbar
1. UPDATE WINDOWS 11
After a lot of users expressed their concerns regarding this feature, Microsoft released the Windows 11 22H2 update for everyone. This update brings a lot of new features, including the much-demanded Drag and Drop to the Taskbar. If you’re running Windows 11, here’s how you can update your PC to enjoy this feature.
To update your Windows11 PC, Open the Settings app and go to the Update & Security page. Here click on windows update. On the Windows Update page, click on the Check for Updates button. Windows will now check for updates and install the Windows 11 22H2 update on your PC.
If you don’t want to install the new update but still want to be able to use the drag and drop feature, read our next solutions.
2. USE ALT + TAB SHORTCUT TO DRAG AND DROP
The “Alt + Tab” command is used to switch between different open windows on a Windows computer. This feature has been available for quite some time, and can be used to drag and drop files in Windows 11. Here is a guide on how to do it.
Here’s how to drag and drop a file from one location to another:
- Open the file location from where you want to drag and drop it.
- Select the file, then drag and hold the mouse button down.
- Press and hold Alt + Tab on your keyboard to navigate between different windows. Keep holding the mouse button down to keep the selected file selected.
- Release Alt + Tab where you want to drop it .
- Release the mouse button to drop the file in that location.
3. Use Free Third-Party Tools/Scripts to Fix Drag and Drop Feature
1. To download Windows11DragAndDropToTaskbarFix, go to GitHub and click on the ‘.exe’ file.
2. Double-click on the ‘.exe’ file to install the application. Then click on Run Anyway button If you are not able to see Run Anyway button then click on More info
3. After you install the application, open it and you’re good to go! You can now drag and drop files onto app icons in the Windows 11 taskbar. If you want, you can choose to have the program start automatic every time you start your Windows 11 PC. To do that, right-click on the Windows11 Drag And Drop To Taskbar Fix icon in the system tray and choose ‘Configure.’
4. To run the program on startup, set “AutomaticallyRunThisProgramOnStartup” to 1. Or, if you would rather start the program manually each time you need drag and drop functionality, set the value to 0.
We hope that the methods above have helped you successfully bring back the drag and drop feature to your Windows 11 taskbar! If this quick read has helped you become more productive, hit the Like button and share this guide with your friends so that they can benefit from it as well. Stay tuned for more informative reads like this one.